Power company E.ON is hoping to build the first new coal-fired power station in the UK for a generation on the site of its present station at Kingsnorth in Kent. At a time of climate crisis, it's an obscenity.
They've been the targets of all kinds of action, from last summer's Camp for Climate Action, to a series of smaller action on April 1st (Fossil Fools Day), to a wave of recruitment fair actions, with more action coming up at the end of this month.
One easy, comfy action can happen from this computer you're looking at. The tactic is called google-bombing.
The more links to a site, the higher it climbs in Google rankings. So, if enough people make the word 'Eon' link to the No New Coal site, pretty soon it'll top the list of anyone searching for Eon. (This tactic was successfully used a few years ago to make 'swivel-eyed loons' link to UKIP).
Two weeks ago www.nonewcoal.org.uk wasn't in the top 50 sites when searching for Eon. As I write this it's already number 13.
So a simple online action can help us get our electronic placards in their face without getting out on the cold winter streets.
If you have a website, blog, myspace, bebo, forum account, etc then please place a link to http://www.nonewcoal.org.uk.
Ideally you write 'eon' and place a hyperlink to http://www.nonewcoal.org.uk from that text.
Anyone can do this! Blog comments/forums are easiest. Good websites are most effective.
If you're wondering what else to write, you could copy or edit this.
To get a top 10 google ranking probably won't be to hard, but to pip E.ON to the top will require a lot of effort so tell your friends, consider putting this simple action in your newsletters, spread the word online...
* 1. It works best if you mention Eon several times in an article. The correct poncy spelling is E.ON so include that a few times too, but most people will probably just search for Eon.
* 2. If you are posting the link in a blog post then put Eon in the title and the tags.
* 3.The more important the site the more kick nonewcoal.org.uk gets from the link.
* 4. If you are really determined then consider setting up a fake site like the EON Corporate Social Responsibility blog that way you can link loads of times to nonewcoal.org.uk from a site that is very relevent!
* 5. Why not take this is seriously as a real world action and forward it to people with green blogs/campaign groups etc?